Thursday, May 15, 2014

Keep the Change!



Life is rapidly changing. As you read in the previous post, my husband and I will be closing on our first home next Friday. That is of course, if everything gets fixed in time. You know how the appraisal and inspection process goes. Little piddly things need to be fixed and such. However, I honestly have not had time to worry about any of the house situation as I have been busy wrapping up a school year, writing the last of my lesson plans, completing my evaluation goals, and packing up a house. I have been able to throw in a few crafts here and there and that's what I wanted to share with you today!


Through Pinterest, I found the cutest "Keep the Change" sign and jar for the laundry room. In my new house, I have high hopes for my large utility room. I want it to look cute even though the only thing that it will hold will be cleaning supplies and a washer and dryer. Oh well.


Materials needed for this craft:
Piece of wood cut to preferable size
Blow torch (for distressed look)
Modge Podge
Cut out letters
Stencil (if you're not cutting out letters)
Paint - color of your choice
Modge Podge
Mason Jar
Scrapbook Paper (if cutting out letters)
C-Clamp (Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, you get the point....)
Polyurethane
Sponge brush

       








I took a piece of wood and my friend and I distressed it using a blow torch. Well, let me say she used the blow torch and I watched. I'm not touching that thing, are you crazy?!? Then, I cut out letters spelling "Keep the Change" from my desired scrapbook paper using a Cricut. However, if you prefer to paint the letters on, you could always use stencils or paint pens if you have exceptional handwriting. I personally did not trust my "good" handwriting to last long enough and be even so I opted to cut out my letters. Then, arrange the letters the way you want and brush them on with a thin layer of Modge Podge. Make sure to measure where you want your letters in comparison to where you want your mason jar to stay. Once your modge podge and everything is dry, spray it with polyurethane to give it a shiny protective cover.Then, drill a small hole and put you C-Clamp through it to hold your mason jar.

Voila, now I have an adorable Keep the Change jar for my new utility room. Now, my husband and I just need to start carrying cash and change rather than a debit card everywhere....

Until next time, stay classy!

2 comments: